Memorandum of Understanding 201407.08.2014
The Kontinental Hockey League and the National Hockey League have signed a new Memorandum of Understanding, reaffirming the existing agreement to respect the professional contracts of players from both leagues. The Memorandum obliges the parties to adhere to the procedures designed to avoid disputes arising during the transfer of players from one league to the other.
The first Memorandum was signed in 2011, and the current agreement runs to the 30th of June, 2015.
The Memorandum of Understanding is an eight-point agreement:
1. The two leagues are to exchange data on any players who have existing contracts with KHL or NHL clubs. The data should include the player’s name, surname, date of birth, club, contract expiry date and his status. On demand of one of the parties, the other party shall supply a full copy of the player’s contract.
2. The KHL and the NHL are obliged to update the players’ contracts database every week with the latest information on any changes.
3. Both leagues should exchange their lists of free agents.
4. The KHL and NHL respect each other’s contracts. Both parties recognize and support the main principle: players under contract with a club from one league cannot fulfill any obligation to a club from another league during the term of the player’s contract.
5. In the event of any conflict or disagreement arising, both parties shall appoint their official representatives to hold negotiations.
6. Prior to such negotiations the parties undertake to provide all documents confirming or in any way associated with the player’s signing of a professional contract with any hockey club.
7. Toronto or New York shall be the venues for the negotiations between the official representatives of both leagues.
8. The NHL and the KHL are obliged to do everything in their power to reach a consensus concerning each player’s disputed contract status, including cases of labor conflicts, contractual disputes, etc. In the event of any failure to reach a consensus, each party reserves the right to act in the way it considers appropriate in such circumstances.
01.07.2015 KHL and NHL continue to cooperate
15.07.2012 Memorandum of Understanding 2012
07.07.2011 Memorandum of Understanding 2011